A Conference Board report indicated that having a strong bench of leaders over the next ten years is one of the top five long-term challenges for business. Effective succession management involves creating a stable of corporate leaders who
- Have the right developmental experiences,
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed to manage global businesses and diverse cultures, and
- Build and maintain effective relationships with matrixed colleagues
One of the most effective methods of ensuring you have the right leaders is to help your high-potentials create actionable development plans that will ensure these elements are in place. Berman Leadership Development works with your high-potential and growing-potential leaders by:
- Understanding each person’s unique needs and objectives,
- Incorporating multiple perspectives on the individual’s strengths and challenges,
- Assembling an effective short and long-term development plan incorporating training, mentoring, and on-the-job experiences,
- Creating alignment among line management, human resources and key stakeholders,
- Ensuring a sustainable process for follow-up and progress.
Contact us today to see how Berman Leadership Development can help take your leadership to the next level.
Tools for Leadership Development
Organizations need to provide a range of tools for leadership development, including individual, team and organizational methods:
Individual: Tools that focus on the individual include 360 feedback and performance feedback, trained HR generalists and specialists who can help interpret and focus both the strengths and the challenges, and written planning tools that provide specific, concrete ideas for how to build leadership skills;
Team: Team leadership is a critical skill for all executives and managers, and one that is often short-changed in the leadership development process. Providing managers with tools to clarify the team focus, mission, and purpose are critical, as are tools to develop, articulate and disseminate values and working principles for teams.
Organizational: Businesses need to define what their critical leadership focus is, and how they want their leaders to bring the organization along with the strategy and vision of the company. Large-scale training programs can be enormously effective in building individual leaders and building a culture of leadership. How much the company emphasizes personal characteristics, management skills, strategic and financial leadership, and team leadership will determine where the organization should focus its energy.